(PlI thought I would write this quick post as I am often listing free offers here on this blog (and have a big free offer post coming up later today).
Many people worry about giving away their details to so many companies and many times the curator of the lists cannot completely verify every offer. I always sign up to some and now check all landing pages but can’t say that i manage to sign up to all of them.
Sadly it’s can be hard to see if something or someone is untrustworthy when hiding behind an internet connection.
Here are some things you can do to protect yourself from spam and possibly something worse!
- Set up an alternative email address, just for signing up to offers – This way any spam will be in one place and you can check back periodically. If you like the stuff they send then you can change it over to your main address and easily unsubscribe from any annoying mails.
- Sign up with a nickname – Most of the offers are after statistics and demographics so signing up with a nick name will not harm this.
- If you are asked for your birth date, change it by a day- This way legitimate companies will still get your statistics and you will be a little safer from somebody having your vital stats.
- Carefully read any offer requiring credit card info, then read it again and again – It is absolutely needed to make sure that you are not giving your credit card details to a dangerous place.
- Use a Pre Paid credit card – This way if it gets stolen or used they can only steal the money on the card. You can find a pretty decent one here: Account Now PrePaid Credit Card.
- If you sign up to free trials write down your trial expiry date in at least 3 prominent places – If you don’t want to continue the product you NEED to cancel before it’s time to pay.
- Create a different password just for offer sign ups – have a special password just for signing up to offer newsletters. This way you will remember it and if it gets hacked it’s only your freebies that get affected.
- Clear your Cookies – After signing up to an offer, clear your cookies right away to avoid them following your activity (thanks for that Mattaw!)
Please not: Always read the T&C’s, some of my suggestions may be against the offers T&C’s and I cannot be held responsible for anybody breaking them! I guess I am saying it’s your risk and I cannot be held accountable… if you know what I mean!!
Thanks for reading…. stick around for a big Pet Freebie post.